Bandon Hill Cemetery (also known as Bandon Hill Joint Cemetery)7172

London, Sutton, Greater London, England

Brief Description

Bandon Hill Cemetery is a large Victorian cemetery laid out on a grid pattern. It was created on open land to the south of Queenswood House. Its historic features include mature trees, the original entrance lodge and pair of chapels. The cemetery contains the only species-rich acidic grassland within the Borough.

History

The cemetery was laid out in 1899 and opened in 1900, with the first burial taking place on the 7th of March.

Visitor Facilities

Opens 8am weekdays/9am weekends/bank holidays; 10am Xmas/NY; closes 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5pm Mar; 6pm Oct; 6.30pm April; 7pm May/Sept; 7.30pm June -August

Detailed Description

Bandon Hill Cemetery is a large Victorian cemetery laid out on a grid pattern in 1899 and opened in 1900 with the first burial on 7 March. It was created on open land to the south of Queenswood House. Originally set up Croydon Rural District Council, it was later the responsibility of a joint burial authority as a result of boundary changes. Its historic features include mature trees, the original entrance lodge and pair of chapels. There are a few significant graves, such as that of the composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (d.1912), whose memorial features musical notes from his composition 'Hiawatha'.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=SUT003

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opens 8am weekdays/9am weekends/bank holidays; 10am Xmas/NY; closes 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5pm Mar; 6pm Oct; 6.30pm April; 7pm May/Sept; 7.30pm June -August

Directions

Rail: Wallington; Waddon. Bus: 157, 154, 455.
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust