Upwood House 6027

Upwood, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Upwood House include a high garden wall, a sunken tennis lawn, a kitchen garden, herbaceous borders and woodland walks.

History

Originally, Upwood House belonged to the abbots of Ramsey, but in the late-16th century Henry Cromwell acquired the property.

Detailed Description

The well-timbered grounds are screened from the road by a high brick wall and a belt of trees. A short avenue drive leads to the house. In 1920, the sale documents listed a sunken tennis lawn, herbaceous borders, shrubbery with woodland walks, and a walled ktichen garden well planted with a choice variety of fruit trees in full bearing. Parts of the garden have been sold for individual houses.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Manor House
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Upwood and the
History

Detailed History

Upwood Manor House stands to the west of Upwood High Street in extensive grounds, including The Warren. Originally the property of the abbots of Ramsey, it came to the Cromwell family after the Dissolution and in 1578 Henry Cromwell partly rebuilt the house.

Period

  • 16th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust