Bodsey House, Ramsey 6168

Ramsey, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Bodsey House include a garden wall, a beech hedge and several shrubs.

History

Bodsey House was created in the mid-10th century and was converted into a manor house in the mid-16th century.

Detailed Description

The original moat to the south still remains and the house today is surrounded by reclaimed marshland. The house stands adjacent to the road and has a garden to the east and south divided into two parts by a wall with a gate. The garden adjacent to the road is protected by a beech hedge and contains several conifers and shrubs.
Features
  • Hedge
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ramsey
History

Detailed History

Bodsey House is situated along the Toll Road 1.5 miles north of Ramsey church. Originally on a small island in the fens, Bodsey was given to Ramsey Abbey on its foundation in 969 and became a hermitage until the Abbey was dissolved in 1539. After the Reformation the property was converted by the Cromwells into a manor house.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust