Great Stukeley Hall 6018

Great Stukeley, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Great Stukeley Hall include shrubberies, a walled kitchen garden, a garden terrace, a ha-ha and an avenue.

History

The present Great Stukeley Hall was created for James Torkington.

Detailed Description

The 1888 Ordnance Survey maps show a small park to the south with peripheral planting and shrubberies around the Hall, and to the west a large walled kitchen garden. 1870 photographs indicate complex flower beds in the south lawn.

By 1924 the garden had been formalised with a terrace and ha-ha overlooking the park. The path layout in the kitchen garden has been lost and immediately to the south-west a new chestnut avenue has been planted. Today this avenue borders a new road to the Hall. New detached houses have been built to the north side of this tree-lined access.

Features
  • Avenue
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Houghton and
History

Detailed History

The existing hall is thought to have been built for James Torkington whose family held the estate for 300 years. During the last century it was occupied by various families and finally by Howard Coote, who bought it in 1904.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust