Turnham Green is former common land, now a triangular open space bisected by roadway, with Christ Church in the east part, built in 1841-3 to serve the expanding Victorian suburbs. Near Christ Church and along the north boundary are flower beds with a war memorial to the east, but otherwise the Green is simply laid out with grass, paths and a few mature trees.
Turnham Green is of particular interest as the place where the Earl of Essex collected his forces from the London area in the Civil War and drew them up in great numbers here, although there was little active fighting and Essex later took possession of Brentford. In 1873 a pond is shown on the west side of the Green but this was filled in by 1948.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Chiswick Park (District). Bus: 27, 190, 267, 391, H91
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust