St Nicholas' Churchyard and Chiswick Old Cemetery (also known as Chiswick Parish Church)7285

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The extension to the churchyard, known as Chiswick Old Cemetery, is laid out on a grid pattern and is a flat, treeless area. At the entrance from Powell's Walk is an inscription recognising he Duke of Devonshire's donation of the land for the cemetery. The WWI Memorial by Sir Reginald Blomfield was designed for the Imperial War Graves Commission in 1919 and takes the form of a Portland stone cross with bronze crusader sword pointing downwards.

History

The west tower of St Nicholas' Church dates from 1416-35 but the church was rebuilt by J L Pearson in 1882-4. The old graveyard was extended in 1838 but closed for burial in 1854, although it re-opened in 1867. In 1871 it was extended when land was donated by the Duke of Devonshire, this being Chiswick Old Cemetery.

Visitor Facilities

Access to the churchyard is unrestricted. Cemetery: 9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb); - 5.30pm (Mar/Oct); - 7pm (Apr/May/Aug/Sept); - 8pm (Jun/July); Christmas Day - 2pm.

Detailed Description

A church at Chiswick is first referred to in 1181, and St Nicholas was at the old centre of Chiswick village. The area became built up in the latter C19th, although Georgian and earlier houses had been built along the riverside. There are many historic tombs in the large churchyard to the south of the church, including those of William Hogarth, Lord Burlington and William Kent. The old graveyard was extended in 1838 but closed for burial in 1854, although it re-opened in 1867. In 1871 it was extended when land was donated by the Duke of Devonshire; a slight change in the ground level separates the churchyard and Chiswick Old Cemetery.

Sources consulted:

Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition)

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HOU047

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Access to the churchyard is unrestricted. Cemetery: 9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb); - 5.30pm (Mar/Oct); - 7pm (Apr/May/Aug/Sept); - 8pm (Jun/July); Christmas Day - 2pm.

Directions

Tube: Turnham Green (District, Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 190, E3
Associated People

Just one person associated to St Nicholas' Churchyard and Chiswick Old Cemetery

Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust