Trewern Hall or Trewern Farmhouse is a country house in Montgomeryshire, Wales, close to the Shropshire border.
Trewern is a large farmhouse, c.1560, and 1610 for Robert Francis. Much altered c. 1840 for Francis Allen, and extensively restored by M.J. Garner for M.Ll. Chapman, including some remodelling, 1985-6 (SW end) and 1993-4 (NE end). Timber framed with renewed slated roofs, random jointed on front elevation. Two storeys and attics.
In the later 19th century Tre-wern had ornamental grounds and a walled kitchen garden, and was set in a small park. A lodge lay at the entrance to the short drive to the house.
A winged hall-house having a half-timbered facade (SE facing), timber framed above rubble-built ground floor elsewhere. The chimneys are 19th c. brick.
The porch, possibly an addition to the main fabric, is dated 1610.
The earliest depiction of Trewern Hall is a print of the house by Thomas Edward Pryce, who visited the house in December 1883. In his description of the house he notes that the porch was "badly mutilated" and that inside and all decorative features had been removed.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Open to the public
- Chapman, M. Ll. (1988), 76 : 31–106. (with reconstructed plan of 1610 and 1910). Trewern Hall, its owners and occupiers Montgomery Collections