The Hayes, Oswestry (also known as The Hayes, Oswestry)5807

Oswestry, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

The Hayes is a mid-17th-century, cruciform stone building of some pretension (with later additions). It may be a hunting lodge. Associated gardens were recorded up until the 1960s.

Detailed Description

The Hayes is a high quality, mid-17th-century, stone building of cruciform plan, with later additions. In 1961 the garden contained a row of 21 (of an original 22) ancient yew trees, under which was a walk known as the Monk's Walk. East of the house was the site of a large pool, filled in in the 1880s. The current situation is unclear.

Features
  • Pool
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Oswestry
History

Detailed History

While reputedly (and quite conceivably) once a hunting lodge, this is not substantiated by any of the surviving documentary evidence, which begins in 1577. In later years, gardens with wooded areas were associated with the building.

References

References