Henlle Hall (also known as Belmont)4958

Weston Rhyn, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

In the 19th century, Henlle Hall, also known as Belmont, featured a house dated to 1810, along with grounds, a park, and a fishpond. Part of the park is currently a golf course.

History

Henlle Hall was built around 1810, and the architect's plans also incorporated changes to the surrounding grounds. The park was in existence by 1827.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: A large fishpond at the centre of Henlle Hall park.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Henlle Hall, sometimes also known as Belmont (Baugh 1808) was built around 1810. At that time, the architect's plans included alterations to the Hall's grounds and surrounds (S.R.O. 5421).

The landscaping depicted on those plans, however, does not seem to relate to the layout of the grounds as they were in 1874. Henlle Hall's park, present by 1827 (Greenwood 1827), extended to the south for a mile, from the Shropshire Union Canal to just north of Bryn-y-Castell, Gobowen. Its principal feature was a large fishpond near its centre (O.S. 6" XII.NW, X11.NE 1884).

In recent years, part of the park of Henlle Hall has been converted into a golf course and club. The hall itself remains a private residence.

References

References