The Towers 6160

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The house is set in extensive grounds. The 1848 map shows open fields. The 1895 map shows a large house with outbuildings set in a wooded park some distance from the road. Some single trees are shown and some are in straight lines, presumably indicating remnant field boundaries. There was no pleasure ground. The house is now known as the Shirley Institute, which houses an industrial research centre.

History

The house was designed by Thomas Worthington and built for J E Taylor, the proprietor and editor of the Manchester Guardian, The house was later owned by Daniel Adamson. On 27th June 1882, Adamson held a meeting at the Towers with the most influential men in the area to discuss the possibility of building a canal from Liverpool to Manchester.

History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit