Ellville House 5152

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

In 1848 the house and grounds lay to the west of Wilmslow Road in open countryside with the house situated at the northern-most part of the grounds. Just south of the house were the gardens and the parkland extended further south to Barlow Moor.

History

The house and grounds are shown on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map but by 1895 the site was reduced and partly developed as Didsbury Priory.

Detailed Description

In 1848 the site was roughly rectangular with Ellville House at the far north. There were formal gardens with oval and star-shaped beds to the south of the house with some woods. The park lay to the south beyond the gardens and was created by taking in some of the surrounding fields.

By 1895 the site was reduced and partly devloped as Didsbury Priory with a wooded area around the house extended to the south.

Features
  • Bed
  • Description: The oval and star-shaped beds that were present in 1848 are no longer present as the site has been lost.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: The wooded area around the house no longer exists as the site is now lost.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Didsbury East
History

Detailed History

The house and gardens are shown on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map. By 1895 the site was reduced and partly developed as Didsbury Priory with the wooded area around the house extended to the south.
References

References