The Oaks is shown as a house with gardens and a small rectangular park, pleasure grounds and possibly a productive garden on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1848. There is a wooded boundary belt to the east and a single line of trees, probably marking old field boundaries in the park. This is now the site of Ashburne Hall, part of Manchester University.
The site was reduced in size by 1895 and the park developed for housing.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
- University of Manchester and University of York, 1994A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Herefordshire