Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Cotton House (also known as Withington Hall)

Introduction

This almost square-shaped, country estate consisted of a house with a central open park land, a lake to the south-west and a wooded area with boundary walks to the north.

On the 1848 Ordnance Survey map this roughly square-shaped park is shown with fields on the north and east and gardens and houses to the south and west.

The grounds included the house in the north-east corner with associated garden, a belt of trees on the northern boundary with laid out walks, a crescent-shaped lake to the south-west and open park in the central area and south-eastern corner.

By 1895 the house and gardens remained but Kinnaird and Rathen Roads had been laid out in the grounds.

History

The house and gardens are shown in the 1848 Ordnance Survey map.

On the 1895 map the name of the house had changed to Withington Hall.

A survey of 1994 recorded a hospital in the grounds.

Features & Designations

Features

  • Belt
  • Walk
  • Lake
  • Pleasance
Key Information

Type

Estate

Purpose

Health/medicine

Principal Building

Hospital

Survival

Lost

Hectares

6

Electoral Ward

Withington

References

References