Bishton Hall 4761

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Bishton Hall is an 18th-century mansion house, now in use as a public school. Part of the grounds is currently in use as playing fields, but some formal gardens remain, complete with a temple and orangery.

History

Bishton was first mentioned in the Domesday Book. The current house dates back to around 1750. Its east wing was added in the 19th century. The Temple Garden was built in the 1840s.

Detailed Description

The 18th-century house, listed Grade II*, is now in use as a public school, and part of the grounds are taken up with playing fields. There are formal gardens remaining to the north of the house. They include a temple and orangery.

Of particular note is the Grade II*-listed temple garden, recently restored by English Heritage. It features a central Doric screen (one of the largest of its kind in the country) and summerhouse. There is also a parterre, currently filled with English roses.

Features
Summerhouse, Orangery
Access & Directions

Directions

http://www.bishtonhall.org/index/Location.html
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Colwich
References

References