After World War 2 the site was opened as Clockhouse Gardens, with part of the moat remaining from the earlier landscape. A bowling green was constructed in 1952/3. A recent addition is a sculptural feature of wooden figures, animals and seats providing a setting for children's play.
Clockhouse Gardens occupy the site of the former gardens of New Place, a property which for much of its early history was an appendage of the Gaynes Estate. In 1775 it was inherited by Sir James Esdaile, Lord Mayor of London in 1777-78, who renovated the house and laid out gardens. After the death of the last private resident in 1924, the house was demolished but its 18th-century stable block, The Clockhouse, remained, initially used by the local Council. Vegetables were grown in the grounds during World War 2.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open daily until dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open daily until dusk.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Upminster (District). Bus: 346, 347