Forest Lane Park was developed on the site by Newham Council from 1991 as an environmentally themed facility, with lake, dipping pond, raised bed garden area, a small orchard with pear and cherry trees, woodland to the east, and a wildflower meadow.
Although Forest Lane Park is a new park it is on the site of Wood Grange Manor, purchased in 1847 by Quaker banker and philanthropist Samuel Gurney, who conveyed the land to the Whitechapel Board of Guardians in 1852. Forest Gate Hospital Industrial School for poor children was built here in 1854 and remained until 1906. It became a workhouse, workhouse infirmary and then a hospital, before finally becoming redundant in 1984. The facade was retained and the southern and central part of the grounds remained.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn till dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn till dusk.
DirectionsRail: Forest Gate, Maryland. Bus: 58, 308, 330.