Today the site is largely grass with some scattered trees and a playground. The remaining gravestones are clustered in one corner of the site near a modest C20th church located just outside the recreation ground. The site abuts May Green, an open space maintained by Newham's Parks Service.
The remains of the disused burial ground of St Mary's Plaistow is situated in the corner of a recreation ground, which was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1900. The design was undertaken by Fanny Wilkinson, landscape gardener for the MPGA, for whom she designed over 75 public gardens in London, many of them former burial grounds.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Plaistow (District, Hammersmith & City).
- Early 20th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Mary's Churchyard, Newham
London Parks and Gardens Trust