Stanwardine in the Wood 6637

Stanwardine in the Woo, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Stanwardine in the Wood features an Elizabethan hall near a medieval moated site. A deer park was established about the same time as the house, and there is a sundial of 1560 in the gardens. Field names show it to have lain within the tongue of land which extends about a mile south of Stanwardine Hall. The road to Westoncommon defines the east and south sides of the park.

History

Stanwardine Hall is likely to date to 1588, but a sundial of 1560 in the gardens indicates a house and at least small grounds before that time. A park was likely established around 1588, and the moated site was turned into a garden. The park was still extant in 1671, when Phillip Henry accompanied the owners of Stanwardine, the Corbets, on a hunting trip in the deer park. The Corbets sold Stanwardine in 1701, and it was probably inclosed soon afterward.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Stanwardine Hall is a mainly E-shaped in plan built with red sandstone brick from Grinshill, featuring stone facings and mullioned windows. The hall is of three storeys with three gables to the front facade. The centre bay features a porch.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sundial
  • Description: There is a sundial of 1560 in the garden beside the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Baschurch
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

References