Boreatton Hall 4939

Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Boreatton Hall featured an extensive park which extended as far as the northern edge of Baschurch, and included Boreatton Moss. In 1851, the grounds had fine avenues of beech and other trees (Bagshaw 1851, 215).

History

Boreatton Hall was first built around 1700, for the Hunt family. The earliest formal gardens probably also date to around 1700, and the grounds were imparked by 1827. In 1851, the seat was in the hands of Rowland Hunt (Bagshaw 1851, 215).

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: An avenue of beech and other trees
  • Earliest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: A private drive approaching Boreatton Hall from Baschurch
  • Earliest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Baschurch
History

Detailed History

Boreatton Hall was first built around 1700 for the Hunt Family, and extensive formal grounds probably dating to that period are now lost, but visible on aerial photography (Stamper 1996, 28).

The grounds around the hall were imparked by at least 1827 (Greenwood 1827).The park included the wooded area of Boreatton Moss, and extended as far as the northern part of the town of Baschurch, from which the Hall was approached by a private drive.The park was also crossed by a public road, running roughly south-west to north-east, and passing the northern edge of Boreatton Moss (Greenwood 1827).

In 1851, Boreatton Hall was the seat of Rowland Hunt. At that time the park included fine avenues of beech and other trees (Bagshaw 1851, 215).By 1890, the public road across the park had been shut (O.S. 6", XX.SE 1890; XXV11.NE 1891).

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Boreatton Hall

References

References