Now called Town Hall Square, this remains a formal, symmetrical composition with island beds, enclosed by stone parapet walls with four piers surmounted by bronze Art Deco lanterns at the front.
Hackney Town Hall was built in 1934-37 when a larger building was needed to accommodate the offices of the Metropolitan Borough of Hackney. It is set back from the main road behind a landscaped square that was laid out on the site of the old Town Hall, itself the site of the C16th Church House long used for church, parochial and educational purposes.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Hackney Central. Tube: Bethnal Green (Central) then bus. Bus: 30, 38, 48, 55, 106, 236, 242, 254, 277, 276, D6, W15.