The burial ground was declared full in 1859, and in 1893/4 was converted into a public garden; graves were grassed over, headstones moved to the perimeter and chest tombs into railed enclosures. It was re-opened as St John’s Gardens in 1894. In 1963, a walled garden was laid out. Neglected by the late C20th, in 2006/7 the gardens were extensively refurbished.
St John-at-Hackney Churchyard Gardens was the burial ground of Hackney's first parish church of St Augustine. The medieval church was demolished in 1790 although the C13th tower remains. Its burial ground was walled in 1707 and expanded twice in the C18th, in 1763 and 1790. The latter expansion enabled the erection of the new church of St John when a much larger church was needed for the growing population.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess to the gardens is unrestricted; church open Weds 10am-2pm. St Augustine's Tower open last Sunday of month 2-4.30pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess to the gardens is unrestricted; church open Weds 10am-2pm. St Augustine's Tower open last Sunday of month 2-4.30pm.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Hackney Central. Bus: 36, 48, 55, 106, 253, S2.
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust