Over the years the hospice has expanded but has always had a garden for recreation and contemplation. There are now different garden areas with roses, traditional perennials, half-hardy tropical plants, annual bedding schemes and container planting. The Centenary Garden was exhibited and won a medal at Chelsea Flower Show in 2005. Further garden areas are being created as part of new building works in 2010.
St Joseph's Hospice was established in 1905 on the former estate of Cambridge Lodge, set up at the instigation of Father Peter Gallwey, Rector of Farm Street Jesuit Mission, to help the destitute of East London. He gained support from the Archbishop of Westminster and Miss Grace Goldsmith, whose gift of £300 a year in 1899 enabled a group of Sisters of Charity to come from Dublin to work in Hackney. In 1903 Cambridge Lodge came up for sale and was purchased for the Sisters to set up the hospice, which opened in January 1905.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site has opened for OGSW, Open House and hospice events.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site has opened for OGSW, Open House and hospice events.
DirectionsRail: London Fields. Tube: Bethnal Green (Central) then bus. Bus: 48, 55, 106, 254, D6
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust