The churchyard was closed to burials in 1846 and it is simply laid out as a public garden, with paving stones, a central rectangular flower bed and a small tree; a lead rainwater butt (dated 1788) is used as a planter and two seats were provided by the MPGA. It is surrounded by a brick retaining wall.
The church of St Mary at Hill is referred to in the late C12th and there was a churchyard on the north side by 1299. A number of former Lord Mayors of the C14th to C16th were buried here. The medieval church was partially destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in 1670-74 re-using the medieval west end and heightening the north and south walls of the earlier building, much of which had survived.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Mon-Fri 11am-4pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Mon-Fri 11am-4pm.
DirectionsTube: Monument (District, Circle) / Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City)
- Victorian (1837-1901)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust