The area around the church is neatly tended, while the area beyond is in a more natural state as the churchyard has been maintained for wildlife since the 1990s.
St Peter and St Paul's parish church dates back to the early-13th century and was in the heart of Dagenham Village, one of the earliest Saxon settlements in Essex. The churchyard was originally around 1 acre but was extended to the south in the 19th century. It was in use for burials until the 1990s, and has numerous tombs, including twenty dating from the 17th century.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Dagenham East (District), then walk/bus. Bus: 145, 103.
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Diocese of Chelmsford
London Parks and Gardens Trust