Belvedere Recreation Ground dates from 1896 and is in two parts north and south of Woolwich Road. The north part had a paddling pool and bandstand, the latter becoming the site of a sandpit with surrounding lime and horse chestnut trees. The old paddling pool is now Belvedere Splash Park. The south part of the park is predominantly playing fields, with mature trees including horse chestnut and a fine copper beech.
Until the mid-19th-century the area of Upper Belvedere was farmland, with few buildings on the Abbey ridge apart from Abbey Farm and a staging inn. Housing was built from the 1860s aimed at more affluent residents, with villas in good-sized plots and landscaped road verges along Woolwich Road.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - dusk. Splash Park open 11am-6pm May-September.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - dusk. Splash Park open 11am-6pm May-September.
DirectionsRail: Abbeywood then bus. Bus: 99