The elevated position of the eastern cemetery provides a sweeping view to the north and a view of the River Thames can be glimpsed from near the chapel. The eastern side is formally laid out and has a number of interesting monuments. The western side opened in the mid-1940s and this part of the site has little evidence of a designed layout, the area dotted about with flowering cherries.
The eastern part opened in 1894. The western part, also known as Brook Street Cemetery, opened in the mid-1940s.
Visitor Facilities9am - 6pm (summer: April-September); 9am-4pm (winter: October-March)
Detailed DescriptionErith Cemetery is on two adjacent sites either side of Brook Street. The eastern part opened in 1894 and the central brick-built Gothic chapel dates from this time. It is formally laid out and has a number of interesting monuments. The western part, also known as Brook Street Cemetery, opened in the mid 1940s and this part of the cemetery has little evidence of a designed layout.
C Webb revised ed. of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BEX015
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details9am - 6pm (summer: April-September); 9am-4pm (winter: October-March)
DirectionsRail: Belvedere then bus. Bus: 99, B12
London Parks and Gardens Trust