The churchyard contains a number of interesting tombs and has a wooden lych-gate from where a path leads to the church porch.
The northern boundary of the parish of Erith is the Thames, and the riverside was once the site of one of Henry VIII's naval dockyards. St John the Baptist Church has existed here from Norman times, with some parts of the building, including the tower, dating from the 13th century and the north aisle from the 19th century. The Wheatley Chapel was the burial place of successive Lords of the Manor of Erith.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Erith. Bus: 229, 469
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Archdeaconry of Bromley and Bexley
London Parks and Gardens Trust