Cemetery of Our Lady of the Angels Capuchin Franciscan Friary 7188

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The cemetery is still in use. Enclosed within iron railings it is laid to grass that is occasionally mown and contains small to medium sized monuments. There are trees around the edges except for the east, which fronts onto Bexley Road.

History

The presence of Capuchin Friars at Erith is recorded from 1867. Land was later acquired in West Street for a church and school dedicated to St Fidelis. The friars at first lived in a corrugated iron hut until their first friary was built onto the end of the church. Land was later purchased on Northumberland Heath, at which time the Guardian of the Friary was Fr Bernardine, under whose auspices the current Friary dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels was begun in 1902, opening in 1903.

Detailed Description

Formerly part of Lime Wood, the use of this small level site as a cemetery pre-dates the building of the Friary here. Established in Erith by 1867, the Capuchin Franciscan Friars acquired the land at Northumberland Heath and the Friary was built in 1902/3, with its Hall added by 1928 and Our Lady of the Angels Church in 1963. The cemetery is still in use. Enclosed within iron railings it is laid to grass that is occasionally mown and contains small to medium sized monuments. There are trees around the edges except for the east, which fronts onto Bexley Road.

Sources consulted:

History of Capuchin Franciscan Friars on www.capuchinfriars.co.uk

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BEX008

Access & Directions

Directions

Rail: Barnehurst then bus. Bus: 229.
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust