St Peter and St Paul Churchyard (also known as Mitcham Parish Church, Church Road Burial Ground, Church Road Cemetery)7287

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The churchyard is on the site of an old Saxon burial ground; it was expanded in 1855 and 1880 to the north, and again in 1909 when it took over the former 'Vicar's Field'.

History

There has been a church here since at least the 13th century, and Church Road Cemetery opened in 1559.

Visitor Facilities

There is unrestricted access to the site.

Detailed Description

There has been a church here since at least the C13th, and Church Road Cemetery opened in 1559. The current church of St Peter and St Paul, to the south-west of Mitcham village centre, was built in 1819-21 by George Smith. It was repainted in the 1990s as part of a Challenge Anneke television programme. The churchyard is on the site of an old Saxon burial ground; it was expanded in 1855 and 1880 to the north, and again in 1909 when it took over the former 'Vicar's Field'. Among those buried are Anne Hall (d.1740); Thomas Stanley (d.1811); and Richard Cranmer.

Sources consulted:

Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p100.

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=MER051

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

There is unrestricted access to the site.

Directions

Tramlink: Belgrave Walk. Bus: 200
Contact
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust