Features of Canons Recreation Ground include a play area and bowling green, along with a Heritage Centre.
The Canons was one of the Manors of Mitcham and the site of a grange farm of the Augustinian Canons of St Mary Overie, Southwark, who built the stone dovecote of c.1511 that stands in the gardens. The pond was formerly a fish pond for the priory and was later divided into two 'stew' ponds for carp breeding. It was enlarged and deepened in 1664 by City merchant Robert Cranmer, whose son John built the present house, which since 1994 has housed Merton Heritage Centre. The property had been purchased in July 1939 by the Corporation of Mitcham intending to use the house as a community centre and the grounds for sports.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open Mon - Fri 8am - dusk; Sat/Sun/Bank holidays 9am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open Mon - Fri 8am - dusk; Sat/Sun/Bank holidays 9am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Mitcham Junction. Bus: 93, 470
London Parks and Gardens Trust