The entrance has the original gates with brick and stone gate piers. Two 12 pounder guns flank a block of stone with an inscription about the garden's dedication. The land for the adjacent St John the Divine Church was also donated to mark the anniversary Nelson's death and was built in 1914. It has a pleasant garden, which was re-designed in 1998 as a Quiet Garden and opened by the Bishop of Kingston and Mayor of Merton.
Nelson Gardens opened in 1906, created to honour the first centenary of Admiral Lord Nelson's death in 1805. Nelson had lived at Merton Place from 1801-1805, which had extensive estate lands within which was the plot that is now Nelson Gardens. When the adjacent road junction was constructed, the garden was used as builders' ground but it was recreated in c.1985 and replanted using plans from 1911, with lawns, a perimeter path and flower beds, hedged to the road.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
DirectionsTube: South Wimbledon (Northern). Bus: 57, 93, 152, 493
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust