The entrance on Church Lane has 19th-century cast iron gates with a short section of original railings, from where a wide drive leads up to the church, which is surrounded by its large churchyard. There are a wide variety of tombs and among the trees are fine horse chestnut, sycamore and mature yews.
St Nicholas Church was built in 1833, a Commissioners' church of stock brick designed by T W Atkinson. It replaced the earlier parish church of Tooting, and is situated in a prominent position in what was called Lower Tooting or Tooting Graveney, so-called after the Gravenel family who owned the Manor in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Tooting then bus. Tube: Tooting Broadway (Northern) then bus. Bus: 44, 57, 77, 127, 133, 264, 270, 280, 355, G1
London Parks and Gardens Trust