Although it has lost its bandstand and other original features, the ornamental garden with fountain and radial paths at the north-east corner is largely intact. It was renamed Plaistow Park in 1999 when restoration works took place.
Part of Plaistow Park is on the grounds of the former Essex House, which dated back to Tudor times, demolished in 1836. West Ham Council acquired the land to create the public park, which opened as Balaam Street Recreation Ground in June 1894. It was laid out to designs of the MPGA's landscape gardener, providing ornamental gardens, recreational and children's play areas, one of a number of parks provided in the Borough in the 1890s. It was later extended in the north and east, and new facilities have been added over the years.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsTube: Plaistow (District/Hammersmith & City). Bus: 5, 15, 15b, 147, 241, 262, 276, 325, 330, 473.