The churchyard has various chest-tombs and monuments, including a number from the medieval church. There are numerous mature trees, including yew and holly and the churchyard is reputedly the best site in Lewisham for ferns.
A church has existed at Lewisham from at least the 10th century, an earlier church replaced in the 15th century, the current building dating from the late-18th century. St Mary's Churchyard was the parish burial ground until 1856 when Lewisham Burial Board opened Ladywell Cemetery and part of the old churchyard is now laid out as a garden.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Ladywell. Bus: 47, 54, 75, 136, 185, 199, 208, 284, P4, 122.
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Diocese of Southwark
London Parks and Gardens Trust