Ladywell Cemetery (also known as Lewisham Cemetery)7233

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Ladywell Cemetery is on uneven ground and is densely-packed with graves, which are generally more mundane than neighbouring Brockley Cemetery. Its chapel survives, north-west of which the serpentine paths are now asphalted. The cemetery is walled along Ivy Road. There is a dense collection of 19th-century monuments, a war memorial and Imperial War Graves Commission Enclosure.

History

Lewisham Cemetery was opened by Lewisham Burial Board whose monogram can be seen on the ornamental gates. It was consecrated by the Bishop of London on 27 March 1858, 2 months after the adjacent Brockley Cemetery.

Visitor Facilities

10am - 3.30pm (November-February)/ - 4.30pm (March - October)

Detailed Description

Ladywell Cemetery, originally called Lewisham Cemetery, was opened by Lewisham Burial Board on a plot of agricultural land purchased from the Trustees of the Earl of Dartmouth. A competition to design the cemetery was won by Messrs Tinkler and Morphew, who were also appointed by Deptford Burial Board who had bought a plot of adjacent land for its own cemetery. A low wall separated the two until c.1948, which is traceable as a bank. A central strip of land between the two had been purchased by Ladywell Burial Board for eventual expansion and Ladywell Cemetery was extended here in the early C20th. In 1965 both cemeteries came under the new London Borough of Lewisham but retain separate records. Ladywell Cemetery was less densely planted than its neighbour, which generally has grander monuments, but Ladywell retains its chapel.

Sources consulted:

Roger Bowdler, EH Historical Analysis and Research Team, notes March 1998; John Archer, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Lewisham', Ecology Handbook 30, London Ecology Unit, 2000 and Lewisham Walk 2 leaflet; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Brockley Conservation Area Character Appraisal, LB Lewisham, 2005.

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=LEW029

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

10am - 3.30pm (November-February)/ - 4.30pm (March - October)

Directions

Rail: Ladywell. Bus: 118, 284, 484, P4
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust