Prendergast School is within the park and dates from 1880. A nature reserve was established in 1992 and a sundial in the form of a circle of 12 large granite stones was erected on top of the hill to mark the millennium.
The site's historic interest resides less in its design than in the story of its acquisition. Deptford Common to the north had already been lost to development when the open land of Hilly Fields was leased to builders in the 1880s. It was saved through a campaign that began in 1889 and involved the Kyrle Society, MPGA, Commons Preservation Society and local residents. Octavia Hill of the Kyrle Society, later co-founder of the National Trust, helped establish the fund-raising committee, which culminated in the purchase and opening of Hilly Fields in 1896. The park layout included perimeter railings, a refreshment house, drinking fountain, open-air grandstand and bandstand.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted (Nature Reserve: locked, used for environmental education and by school and local residents).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted (Nature Reserve: locked, used for environmental education and by school and local residents).
DirectionsRail: Ladywell then bus. London Overground: Brockley. Bus: 484, 122, 273, 584, P4.
London Parks and Gardens Trust