Lewisham Memorial Gardens is an area of formal planting either side of the WWI War Memorial that was unveiled and dedicated in May 1921 It now commemorates Lewisham's dead of both world wars. The memorial is hedged by yew and the symmetrically laid-out garden has concrete crazy paved paths and yew hedges surrounding formal beds with seat niches, some now empty of seats. There are bedding displays and raised planted areas, ornamental evergreens and shrubs. At the south end, near a raised planted shield, is an Indian cedar tree planted on 28 March 1985 by the Mayor of Lewisham to celebrate the 40th anniversary of end of WWII and the formation of United Nations. Along Lewisham High Street are London plane trees behind a low wall.
The WWI War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated in May 1921.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Ladywell. Bus: 47, 54, 75, 136, 185, 199, 208, 284
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust