The park once had a lake, which was formed as a result of gravel extraction during building work, and this was emptied within living memory, although it was not shown on the Stanford Map of 1862. Its site is now a circular sunken area ringed with plane trees.
Lewisham Park was laid out as the centrepiece of a housing development built on the estate of the Rt Hon William Legge, Earl of Dartmouth, prior to building commencing. Access was at first restricted to residents of the surrounding houses. It was handed over to Trustees in 1878 and taken over by London Borough of Lewisham in 1965, after the freehold had been purchased in 1960.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
DirectionsRail: Ladywell. Bus: 47, 54, 75, 136, 185, 199, 208, 284.
London Parks and Gardens Trust