The early C19th layout of main diagonal paths and forecourt remains intact. Headstones are stacked around its perimeter walls and there are fine mature plane and lime trees. The gardens were enhanced on the north side in the 1960s with the construction of a sunken rock garden. An ornamental sundial with floral beds and a drinking fountain was added in 2001.
St Mary’s Church Gardens is the former parish churchyard where many historical dignitaries were buried. There has been a church here from at least the early C14th although the medieval church was replaced by a new building in 1751-54. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1954-56 following WWII bomb damage, although the C18th tower and steeple remain. St Mary’s churchyard was enlarged in 1793, and after it closed for burial it was laid out as a public garden in 1885.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground/Tube (Victoria): Highbury and Islington. Tube: Angel (Northern) Bus: 4, 19, 30, 43
London Parks and Gardens Trust