Duncan Terrace Gardens comprise a series of linear gardens between Duncan Terrace and Colebrooke Row. They were re-landscaped in the 1950s and now form an important link in the series of green spaces along the former course of the New River.
Duncan Terrace and Colebrooke Row were built either side of the New River, the man-made water conduit constructed in 1609-13 to supply London's growing population. The New River here was enclosed in underground pipes in 1861 as the area was developed. The southernmost garden opened in 1893, laid out by the MPGA for Islington Borough Council who had acquired the land in 1892. The garden areas to the north remained in the ownership of the Metropolitan Water Board, although part were let for public gardens. When the New River ceased to flow below Stoke Newington in around 1946, the pipes were dug up and ownership of the gardens transferred to Islington Council in 1951.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is partly unrestricted. Part: 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is partly unrestricted. Part: 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Angel (Northern). Bus: 4, 19, 30, 43, 205, 214, 73, 38, 56, 341, 476
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Duncan Terrace Garden and Colebrooke Row Gardens
London Parks and Gardens Trust