Surrounded by busy roads, the central area of the roundabout was planted with grass and a variety of trees of different species. A strip of garden adjacent to the roundabout at the north end of Compton Terrace commemorates those who were killed, injured or bereaved as a result of the 1944 bomb. Named Highbury Corner Garden it was created in winter 2008/09 as part of Islington Council’s initiative, ‘Greening the Grey’.
Highbury Roundabout was laid out in 1960-66, on land that had been devastated by a German bomb on 27 June 1944. It was previously the northern part of Compton Terrace and its communal garden, built between 1819-31.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube/London Overground: Highbury & Islington (Victoria). Bus: 4, 43,19, 30, 43, 271, 277, 393
London Parks and Gardens Trust