St Andrew's Church was built in 1852-54 on a site donated by George Thornhill and is surrounded by a public garden with flower beds, paths and trees around the perimeter. The need for the new church reflected the growth of the parish.
Thornhill Estate was laid out by Joseph Kay, surveyor from 1813-1849 for the Thornhill family from Yorkshire. By the early C19th they owned large tracts of land, including 86 acres in Islington, largely let for dairy farming. Thornhill Crescent was begun c.1849 by Samuel Pocock, a dairy farmer in the area.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Caledonian Road & Barnsbury. Rail/Tube (Northern, Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City; Circle, Victoria, Piccadilly):King's Cross. Bus: 17, 91, 259, 274, 153
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust