Although the church has been much restored in the 19th and 20th centuries, the doorway dates from the 12th-century church. Among the monuments in the churchyard is that of amateur mathematician Henry Perigal (d.1898), who discovered the proof of Pythagoras' Theorum in 1830, the diagram engraved on his monument. An inscription records his Huguenot descent and states that he 'investigated and illustrated the laws of compound circular motion'.
The still rural hamlet of Wennington has existed from at least 969AD and there was a church here by the 11th century. St Mary and St Peter's Church, a 12th-century stone and flint building, was rebuilt in the 13th century and has a 15th-century tower.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Rainham then bus. Bus: 372
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust