Rainham Recreation Ground when first opened had facilities including a paddling pool and playground equipment, but although it was considered a suitable site for a future bowling green, this did not eventually get created. It was re-landscaped in 1990 and a new playsite was laid out in 2004.
Rainham existed from ancient times as a small hamlet with a medieval church, river crossing and a wharf on the creek formed by the Ingrebourne River, which was navigable until the 20th century. The railway arrived here in 1854 but Rainham remained a relatively remote rural village into the 1930s. The land was acquired for public open space by Hornchurch UDC in 1934 and was initially used for allotments during World War 2. Rainham Recreation Ground was laid out in 1950/1.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open daily until dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open daily until dusk.
DirectionsRail: Rainham. Bus: 165, 287