St Helen and St Giles Church is the oldest surviving building in Havering in the village of Rainham, which has been occupied since the Stone Age. Now closed to burials, the churchyard has many mature trees and a number of good 18th-century monuments.
In Norman times there was a ferry at Rainham and Rainham Creek was a trading post from as early as around 1200. The church was reputedly built around 1170 as penance for the murder of Thomas A Becket by Richard Luce. In 1729 John Harle, a merchant and owner of Rainham Wharf, built Rainham Hall next to the churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Elm Park, Dagenham East (District). Rail: Rainham. Bus: 103, 165, 287, 324.
- 12th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust