Although little of the original grounds survive, there is a large circular pond in front of the house, partly surrounded by shrubs, with a statue of the Madonna on the south edge of the pond. Elsewhere are garden areas with lawns, paths, seating areas, some remains of old brick wall and mature trees. An elaborate gate retains the name 'Mount House' carved in the wood.
Mount House was built in the C18th on rising land enclosed from Enfield Chase, a red brick house in its own grounds with a stable range to the west. In 1947 the Sisters of St Martha moved the senior wing of their school here from Wood Street, and additional buildings were added in the 1960s.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: High Barnet (Northern) then bus/walk. Bus: 84 then walk.
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust