The churchyard has been made into a garden and has grass, mature trees and seating. Barnet War Memorial, originally located in front of the church, was unveiled in 1921.
St John's Church was in the centre of the medieval village of Chipping Barnet, which developed to the west of the village of East Barnet where the main parish church was. Until the 1830s the area was largely woods, commonland and fields. In 1420 an earlier church at Chipping Barnet was rebuilt by the Abbot of St Albans; it became a parish in its own right in 1866. In 1870-75 a larger church was built although many of the old monuments were preserved and include the tomb of Thomas Ravenscroft (d.1630).
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: High Barnet (Northern).