Hadley Green is an ancient tract of commonland now bisected by roads.
The land was secured as public open space for the people of Hadley parish in 1818. It is reputedly the site of the Battle of Barnet in the War of the Roses when the Earl of Warwick died with many of his men on Easter Sunday 1471. This historic occasion is marked by an obelisk erected in 1740 but moved further north of its original position in 1840. Houses were increasingly built around the Green from the C17th, and from 1770-1938 the Hadley Brewery was situated adjacent to Brewery Pond, one of five ponds on Hadley Green.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: High Barnet (Northern) then bus. Bus 34, 84, 263, 383, 399.
London Parks and Gardens Trust