The common today is mostly wooded, with some grassland, two ponds and an artificial lake. A war memorial stands on the west, north of Camlet Way.
Monken Hadley Common was once part of the mediaeval hunting forest of Enfield Chase. When the Chase was enclosed in 1777, this area of land on the western edge was given to the villagers of Monken Hadley in compensation for their loss of grazing and other rights. It was used for cattle grazing until 1950 when it became a public open space. The village attracted well-off London merchants who began to build fine houses here. Entrance to the common was through five sets of gates, each having a gatekeeper.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: New Barnet, Hadley Wood. Tube: Cockfosters (Piccadilly)/ High Barnet (Northern) then bus. Bus 84, 184, 298, 299, 383, 384, 399
London Parks and Gardens Trust