Rebuilt after bomb damage, the church retains its original stone wall and gateway. The garden has grass, flower beds and a number of mature trees, with numerous shrubs where the ground slopes down towards the Regent's Canal.
St Mark's Church was consecrated in 1853, although plans to establish a new district within St Pancras Parish were discussed from 1848 and initially a temporary church was provided. The chancel was added in 1889-90, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield. In 1928 the new vicar was Hugh Stuckey, who was instrumental in reviving the church through difficult times, opening the garden in 1930 to visitors to London Zoo for tea parties on Summer Bank Holiday Mondays, which led to the church's nickname The Zoo Church.
Visitor FacilitiesThere is unrestricted access to the garden. Church open on Fridays in autumn months (call to check).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThere is unrestricted access to the garden. Church open on Fridays in autumn months (call to check).
DirectionsTube: Chalk Farm (Northern). London Overground: Camden Road. Bus: 274.
- Mid 19th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Mark's Churchyard, St Pancras
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust